Sunday, February 15, 2015

Journey to Jersey - Island Games 2015

In mid 2014, I expressed an interest in competing internationally.  The next major competition that team Cayman would be competing in was the 2015 Island Games.  

At this point I had been exclusively training in the IPSC style of shooting which was practical and required more movement and strategy.  However this discipline, although internationally popular, was not a viable  option for women’s individual competitions in these particular games.  As such, in September 2014, I decided to open up my options for competing internationally by learning a new discipline, 25m sport pistol with a .22 calibre. Yes it was back to where I had started with that .22 Smith & Wesson.


There was a lot of work to do in 8 months. Switching from the powerful, fast paced, two handed IPSC discipline to the one-handed, refinery of the more delicate .22 took more than a little patience. I had to start back at the beginning, feet placement, body positioning, breathing and with the target so close it was insulting. Not to mention it was painstaking to have to keep my hand up there unsupported and steady.   


After a few  months I got the hang of the awkwardness and found my comfort zone.  With support of coach Eddie and my team mate Michaela, I was able to move my target back to the 25 meter mark and steadily increase my accuracy from  66% to 83% (see progress chart below).  Now we were having fun.  My goal between now and June is to increase and maintain my accuracy up to at least 90%.  All while still participating in IPSC events regularly because no part of me is giving that up!  










 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment